Traffic engineering design and management relates to the development of customised solutions to enhance existing infrastructure capacity and/or the development of new schemes. Traffic engineering design and management is guided by various national design documents: Design Manual for Urban Roads and Streets (DMURS) in urban areas, TII Publications (Standards) in rural areas and National Cycle Manual as best practice guidelines. Where relevant international best practice is used to inform designs.
Key components of this service include, as necessary:
- Pedestrian and cyclist infrastructure and facility design
- Development scheme layout and network design
- Traffic calming and signage scheme design
- Traffic and speed survey data collection and analysis
- Intelligent transport systems (ITS) specification and design
- Demand management – option identification and appraisal
- Traffic management plan (TMP) and construction traffic management plan (CTMP) development
- Quality Audits and Road Safety Audits
- Junction design, including visibility splay assessments, swept path analysis and traffic signal design
Recent Transport Insights’ experience includes a local road design scheme in South Dublin, traffic engineering support to the development of multiple renewable energy projects in rural Ireland, demand management advice to Cork local authorities, and the development of a construction traffic management plan for a major commercial development site in Dublin City Centre.