Primary Location: Dublin, Ireland
Discipline: Transport Planning/ Engineering
Salary: Negotiable – based on individual candidate
Type of Position: Permanent/Contract full-time position
Job Posting: 18 September 2018
Transport Insights is an Irish based transport planning consultancy. With a team of internationally experienced consultants, we provide innovative, effective and deliverable transport related advice and cost effective, sustainable solutions.
We offer a wide range of transport planning related services to clients in public and private sectors including capital investment planning; option appraisal and prioritisation; development and accessibility planning; public transport planning; sustainable transport; traffic and parking management; and transport strategy development.
Our projects require a broad range of skills and the ability to deliver quality work within a fast-moving and deadline-driven environment. We are now seeking an enthusiastic, numerate, client focussed Consultant Transport Planner who is interested in analysing and understanding transport problems, and developing sustainable solutions for all transport users. Working within an integrated, collaborative team, this role not only provides you with exposure to a wide variety of projects, but also offers the opportunity to develop and hone your technical skills.
The Consultant Transport Planner position is an excellent opportunity for you to join an established team with a diverse client base and a strong pipeline of future work in Ireland and internationally, develop your technical capabilities and client engagement skills, and shape your career. In return, you will benefit from a generous salary and Transport Insights’ employee benefits package, and formal training and development opportunities.
- Project managing delivery of small-medium value contracts on behalf of clients in private and public sectors.
- Providing technical support within project teams under the leadership of Project Managers.
- Working and interacting with wider multi-disciplinary professional teams.
- Analysing, modelling and assessing future transport demands and network requirements.
- Plan and design multi-modal transport schemes, covering road, rail and active travel modes.
- Prepare technical deliverables e.g. presentation slide packs, feasibility assessments, access reviews, traffic and parking management reviews, transport studies, transport assessments, and various types of reports to support planning applications.
- Support in the preparation of proposals for various sized projects.
- Represent the company and clients at meetings and presentations.
- Providing guidance to junior colleagues to support career development.
Undergraduate or postgraduate degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. transport planning/engineering, civil engineering, geography, etc).
Essential Role Requirements
Typically, around 2+ years’ experience in transport planning, modelling, civil engineering or related fields, with:
- Degree qualified in a relevant discipline, you will have experience as a Transport Planner/ Engineer for multi-modal transport and scheme development studies with the ability to contribute to the success of a range of high-profile transport projects.
- Significant experience of transport planning in Ireland and/ or internationally.
- Good all-round technical knowledge of all aspects of transport planning for developments from strategic appraisal through to transport assessments and traffic engineering.
- Experience of working within multi-disciplinary environments, e.g. engineers, town planners, economists, architects etc.
- Excellent communication, presentation and report writing skills and ability to produce clear, precise and coherent analysis and reports using data from transport models and scheme appraisal techniques.
- Initiative and creative approach to problem solving and the aptitude to work on your own initiative.
- Proficiency in data collection, analysis and interpretation.
- Efficient communication skills, excellent level of written and spoken English.
Desirable Role Requirements
- Previous experience in a consultancy environment.
- Experience of acting in role as Project Manager in the delivery of small and medium sized projects in accordance with technical standards and agreed budget.
- Experience of successfully line managing, mentoring and developing junior colleagues of the team to ensure successful project execution and commercial performance.
- Experience using industry recognised software packages such as AutoCAD, DraftSight, ArcGIS/qGIS, ARCADY/PICADY, LINSIG, VISSIM, PARAMICS, SATURN, TRANSYT etc.
- Public transport planning experience.
- Experience of economic and financial appraisal of transport projects and programmes.
- Experience of engagement with local transport authorities, operators and the public.
Reward and Benefits
- Competitive core salary, with additional benefits including 25 days annual leave, contributions to Transport Insights’ company pension scheme, income protection, and death in service cover.
- Cycle to work and tax saver public transport schemes.
- One paid annual professional institutional membership fee.
- Opportunities to participate in conferences, workshops and training in accordance with professional development priorities.
- Flexible working hours.