National University of Ireland Galway Travel Plan
Client: National University of Ireland Galway
Duration: September to December 2016
Transport Insights was commissioned by NUIG in September 2015 to develop an updated Travel Plan for the period 2017 – 2020. Following the consultation process with NUIG, the following tasks were undertaken:
- Design and completion of on-line staff and student travel surveys.
- A comprehensive site audit of existing on- and off-site transport facilities.
- Setting out and agreeing objectives and modal split targets for the new Travel Plan, i.e. to reduce single occupancy car use, and to promote sustainable and active travel.
- Engagement with key stakeholders, namely Galway City Council and the National Transport Authority to align the Travel Plan’s contents with planned transport initiatives in the City.
- Formulating an Action Plan with an integrated package of recommendations to be actioned to achieve the identified objectives and targets.
Added Value Brought to Project
Key recommendations included the appointment of a Travel Plan Coordinator and establishment of a Working Group within NUI Galway. This enabled ongoing accountability and provided an ability to track progress in achieving the Travel Plan’s objectives and targets. Transport Insights also developed a strategy to promote and market the Travel Plan, thus ensuring the required buy-in from staff and students during its lifetime. Transport Insights extensive smarter travel and mobility management experience were instrumental to the Travel Plan’s successful subsequent implementation by NUIG.