Primary Location: Dublin, Ireland
Discipline: Transport Planning/ Engineering
Salary: Negotiable – based on individual candidate
Type of Position: Permanent/Contract full-time position
Job Posting: 18 September 2018
Transport Insights is an Irish based transport planning consultancy. With a team of internationally experienced consultants, we provide innovative, effective and deliverable transport related advice and cost effective, sustainable solutions.
We offer a wide range of transport planning related services to clients in public and private sectors including capital investment planning; option appraisal and prioritisation; development and accessibility planning; public transport planning; sustainable transport; traffic and parking management; and transport strategy development.
Our projects require a broad range of skills and the ability to deliver quality work within a fast-moving and deadline-driven environment. We are now seeking an enthusiastic, numerate, client focussed Principal Consultant who is interested in analysing and understanding transport problems, and developing sustainable solutions for all transport users. Working within an integrated, collaborative team, this role not only provides you with exposure to a wide variety of projects, but also offers the opportunity to develop and hone your technical skills.
The Principal Consultant position is an excellent opportunity for you to join an established team with a diverse client base and a strong pipeline of future work in Ireland and internationally, develop your technical capabilities and client engagement skills, and shape your career. In return, you will benefit from a generous salary and Transport Insights’ employee benefits package, and formal training and development opportunities.
- Act as Project Manager on the delivery of various public and private sector projects to programme and budget and in accordance with best practice and related technical standards.
- Build upon your existing team management experience in planning and delivery of projects to benefit both our clients and the company.
- Take day-to-day responsibility in leading a varied workload of projects, supervising junior colleagues, ensuring achievement of financial goals and contributing strongly to the technical content and delivery of projects.
- Specify and lead the analysis and modelling of future transport demands and network performance.
- Plan and design multi-modal transport schemes, covering road, rail and active travel modes.
- Prepare technical deliverables e.g. presentation slide packs, feasibility assessments, access reviews, traffic and parking management reviews, transport studies, transport assessments, and various types of reports to support planning applications.
- Prepare proposals for various sized projects.
- Represent the company and clients at meetings and presentations.
- Lead ongoing business development and marketing activities with a view to further expanding Transport Insights’ client base in Ireland and internationally.
Undergraduate or postgraduate degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. transport planning/engineering, civil engineering, geography, etc).
Essential Role Requirements
A minimum of 5 years’ experience in transport planning, modelling, civil engineering or related fields, with:
- Degree qualified in a relevant discipline, you will have experience as a Transport Planner/ Engineer for multi-modal transport and scheme development studies with the ability to contribute to the success of a range of high-profile transport projects.
- Significant experience of transport planning in Ireland and/ or internationally.
- Good all-round technical knowledge of all aspects of transport planning for developments from strategic appraisal through to transport assessments and traffic engineering.
- Project management experience, demonstrating responsibility for task delivery, financial and risk controls.
- Experience of working within multi-disciplinary environments, e.g. engineers, town planners, economists, architects etc.
- Excellent communication, presentation and report writing skills and ability to produce clear, precise and coherent analysis and reports using data from transport models and scheme appraisal techniques.
- Experience in leading the delivery of commissions as Project Manager and building excellent working relationships with a range of clients.
- Initiative and creative approach to problem solving and the aptitude to work on your own initiative.
- Experience of engagement with local authorities, transport operators and the public.
- Proficiency in data collection, analysis and interpretation.
- Proficiency in specifying, supervising and interpreting outputs of macro and micro level transport modelling packages.
- Experience in providing evidence-based advice to public and private clients.
- Efficient communication skills, excellent level of written and spoken English.
Desirable Role Requirements
- Previous experience in a consultancy environment.
- Experience of successfully line managing, mentoring and developing junior colleagues to ensure successful project execution and commercial performance.
- Experience using industry recognised software packages such as ArcGIS/qGIS, ARCADY/PICADY, LINSIG, VISSIM, PARAMICS, SATURN, TRANSYT etc.
- Public transport planning experience.
- Experience of economic and financial appraisal of transport projects and programmes.
- The ability to secure work and develop business with existing and new clients.
Reward and Benefits
- Competitive core salary, with additional benefits including 25 days annual leave, contributions to Transport Insights’ company pension scheme, income protection, and death in service cover.
- Cycle to work and tax saver public transport schemes.
- One paid annual professional institutional membership fee.
- Opportunities to participate in conferences, workshops and training in accordance with professional development priorities.
- Flexible working hours.